When should I apply for a CRN?

If your equipment requires a Canadian Registration Number, you must apply for the CRN before the pressure equipment can be installed and used in Canada. In fact, it is wise to complete your CRN registration before the pressure equipment is in the final stages of design (i.e. before the equipment is built). This will ensure that you follow CSA B51 and other regulations without issue. In any case, to avoid unnecessary complications, make sure that your CRN registration is completed before any assembled equipment leaves the producer. If the equipment will not be assembled until after it leaves the manufacturer (e.g. the equipment must be assembled in the field), be sure the design has a Canadian Registration Number.